Pork Belly is a dish which many eat out but rarely cook at home … I am not sure why possibly perfecting the crisp crackling is daunting … these are the steps which I follow!
Pork Belly from Mcloughlin's Craft Butchers (1.5 kg)
- Thick Belly of PorkFresh thyme leaves
- Salt and Pepper
- 2 large cooking apples
- tbs of butter
- tsp sugar (to taste)
- Heat the oven to a high 220 degrees
- Score the skin of the belly with your sharpest knife or blade
- Generously rub the skin with the thyme, seasoning … making sure it reaches deep into all the cracks
- Roast the pork for half an hour in the hot oven
- Turn the oven down and cook for a further hour … this will depend on the thickness of the meat … but when the juices run clear and the crackling gold the meat is cooked
- Peel and core the apples chop up small and add to a small pot with the butter and sugar … leave to melt until the apple has dissolved.
- If you feel the crackling is not as crisp as you would like to turn up the grill until crisp
- Remove the crackling before carving the meat and brake it into bite-size pieces
- Serve with mash spuds and apple sauce